I've got a few things that I'd like to do this year, but one of the biggest of my goals is to do the best I can in the 365K challenge being hosted by one of the FB writer groups I'm part of: 10 Minute Novelists (go check them out, you know you want to =P)
The idea is to write a thousand words per day, along side a group of other writers. It won't be easy. In fact, I admit I knew it was crazy the moment that I signed up for it. A thousand words, every day?
Madness, for me. Will it be too much? Definitely. But what is the point of life if you never take any risks or do something crazy ever so often?
Part of this challenge is setting achievable goals. It's a work in progress, but the goals that I have decided on so far are:
- Finish a draft of a book every four months. I expect a full draft of one of my novels to be somewhere between 80-100k on average.
- Finish one novella every four months. Since I've never actually written a novella length story, I'm going to put a guesstimate of 30-50k for one of these. Yes, I know that 50k is technically in the novel range, but I'm used to longer works so 50k feels short to me.
- Write at least three flash fictions or writing prompts a week.
- Self publish at least one book, novella, or anthology. Pretty self-explanatory, I think.
- Finish at least one collab work. I have a lot of writing projects with friends that I'm working on and I'd like to see at least one of them to completion by the end of the year.
- Do some podcasting. This is a special thing. While it probably won't be counted toward my words unless I write out notes for it, it would be nice to broaden my horizons. My 365k challenge group leader discussed having our group do podcasting together and a friend of mine has been asking me about doing a self-published book review podcast with her, so this one is a little more dependent on other people than my other goals. I admit, podcasting sounds terrifying to me, but getting over my fear of public speaking probably would be a good idea. Besides, I might just find that it's fun! After all, there is reading involved. And who doesn't like reading? Speaking of...
- Read a book a month. This would be an altered continuation of my reading goal from last year. I'm determined to get back into the habit of reading and keeping my creativity well properly filled. This also would be a good way to support the podcasting goal.
- Blog weekly. I might blog more often than this, but I want to get into the habit of posting something at least once a week, most likely on Fridays. These goals will probably need a bit of tweaking or narrowing down to specifics in order to make them more achievable, but that's all for now. So what does the year ahead hold for you, goal wise? Got any resolutions or big plans? Feel free to share and follow along to see how I'm doing with mine! God bless, all!