Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Family Health Scare

The last couple days was stressful, but I’m relieved that everything has worked out the way it did. On Sunday, my 10 month old son came down with a fever and some minor sniffles. When on Monday his fever hadn’t broken, in fact rising even after having been given Tylenol two hours before, I got up after just an hour of sleep and brought him to see his pediatrician. When they took his temperature, it was 102.5 which lead them to send us to our local hospital to do some tests and a cbc. The results came back saying that he was clear for the flu and strep, which was great news, but he had a white blood cell count of 46,000 (normal is around 10,000 and his pediatrician said that his test was the highest she’d ever seen). So we were sent to a childrens’ hospital two hours away, under the impression that he likely had a very bad bacterial infection of some sort.

So, naturally, I was a nervous wreck. I tried to put on a brave face for my family, though I know they all saw through it because I was irritable enough that I wanted to throw furniture as I rushed to get everyone and everything ready :P As scared as I felt I refused to cry, because there is some strange part of me that is convinced that if I do, it will make the situation worse. On top of that, lack of sleep tends to make me paranoid, which combined with my imagination, brings about horrible scenarios that I have a hard time of getting out of my head.

Once there, my poor little boy had to have another round of tests, because the results of the first set hadn’t been faxed as they should have been. So more needles, catheters, thermometers... and he doesn’t even particularly like a normal doctor’s visit. Needless to say, he was a very unhappy boy. He’d gotten very little sleep all day, except during the ride to the childrens’ hospital, and was so tired. When the results from those tests came back (they checked twice) it said that his count was only around 14,000. Apparently there had been a mix up of the test at our local hospital. I was never more glad to hear that there was a mistake in tests. We were told he likely just had a cold and were sent back home. It was three am by the time we’d gotten back and while it ended up being nothing serious, it was worth it to make sure he was going to be okay. He’s still sick, but doing better and I spent a good part of yesterday making up for lost sleep while the in-laws kept an eye on him. Thank God for supportive family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'd love to hear from you!